Republic of India
General Baptist have two ministry centers in India. Kakinada/Pithapuram in the state of Andhra Pradesh is under the direction of Dr. Prakash and his wife, Jemima. Andhra Pradesh has a population of 84 million with 1.51% being Christian. General Baptists have been working here since 1982. Our second area is Siddipet in the state of Telangana under the direction of Jessey Vemula and his wife Brittany. Telangana has a population of 35 million with 1.2% being Christian. General Baptists have worked in this area since 2013.
Area: 3,166,000 sq km
A further 121,000 sq km of Kashmir, a contested area, is administered by Pakistan and China. Geographically and politically, India dominates South Asia and the Indian Ocean. There are 28 Union States and 7 Union Territories.
Population: 1,214,464,312 Annual Growth: 1.44%
Official language: Constitutionally there are 22 official languages. The official language is Hindi (spoken by 40% of the population). English is a subsidiary official language Languages: 456 All languages
Largest Religion: Hinduism
|Religion||Pop %||Ann Gr|
Challenges for Prayer
- Pray for the cultural barriers of the caste system and Hinduism to be overcome by the Gospel.
- Pray for the Good News of Jesus Christ to reach every village and town.
- Pray for justice and hope in a nation plagued by oppression, poverty, and disease.
- Pray that present pressures and the work of the Holy Spirit might bring new life to traditional forms of Christianity.
- Our General Baptist ministries are strong and growing but have many challenges. Please pray for strength, safety and God’s blessing as they continue to minister in the most unevangelized nation General Baptists serve.
[catlist name=India content=full]